A delicious rice bowl made with ground turkey, a savory teriyaki sauce and loads of crunchy carrots and broccoli. A quick and easy stirfry for the family!
I love a good stir fry, especially when it’s healthy, affordable, and I can make it in 30 minutes tops. Using ground turkey makes for an easy peasy meal and when you drench it with a delicious savory teriyaki sauce, you get a drool-worthy and oh-so-tasty rice bowl!
Ingredients and Notes
I like using ground turkey for easy and quick meals. I usually buy a 1 pound package that’s 80/20 (80% meat, 20% fat) for more flavor and juicier turkey.
Carrots and broccoli are my vegetables of choice for this stir fry. They add variety, bright colors and a bit of a crunch.
Aromatics are a must with Asian dishes. Garlic and ginger are my go-to choices, they smell delicious when sauteed and give the dish a nice “zing.”
Teriyaki Sauce Ingredients
I like to use coconut sugar in my cooking, but this can be replaced for light brown sugar as well.
Make the Rice Bowl
For full instructions, see the recipe card below.
Cook the rice
Always make your rice first. Get your handy rice cooker, rinse the rice, then set it and forget about it.
Make the teriyaki sauce
Add all the ingredients for the sauce into a sauce pan and heat on medium heat. Add the cornstarch slurry to help thicken the sauce.
Make the ground turkey teriyaki stir fry
This is a quick stir fry. Add the oil and aromatics to a pan. Then saute the turkey until almost cooked. Add the teriyaki sauce and carrots. I don’t cook the carrots for too long – I like them to have some crunch, then throw in the steamed broccoli and mix it together. How simple is that?!
Serve the stir fry over white or brown rice. Garnish with sliced green onions and sesame seeds, drizzle with extra sauce as needed. For additional sides, I like to add cucumber slices and kimchi or add a delicious Chinese chicken salad!
If you like your stir fry veggies crunchy and fresh like I do, make sure not to overcook them. Mushy, lifeless vegetables are so sad. I cut my broccoli into bite-sized florets and steam for two minutes, then add them to the stir fry at the end. This prevents them from being under/overcooked and gives you more control of their doneness.
Customize your rice bowl. Add different veggies that you love, like baby corn, snow peas, water chestnuts and sliced red or green cabbage.
Don’t dry out the meat by cooking it for too long. Choosing 80/20 ground turkey will have a bit more fat and will not dry out as much when you cook it.
For 1 pound of ground turkey in a stir fry, cook for about 10-15 minutes. Any longer and you may risk drying it out.
Serve over zucchini noodles or cauliflower rice if you’re a carb-conscious eater.
Hope you try this teriyaki ground turkey and broccoli recipe out. Another favorite Asian stir fry of mine is this healthy japchae noodles. Would love it if you check that out as well!
Let’s be friends! Follow on Instagram and Pinterest. Will you do me a favor and comment and like this recipe below? That’ll make my day. Thank you!
Ground Turkey Teriyaki Rice Bowl
- wok or large pan
- ½ cup low sodium soy sauce
- ¼ cup water
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon rice vinegar
- ½ tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons water
Ground Turkey and Broccoli Stir Fry
- 1 pound ground turkey meat I use 80/20
- 1 medium julienned carrot
- 2 cups broccoli florets cut into bite size pieces
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon thinly sliced ginger
- 1 stalk sliced green onions
- toasted sesame seeds optional garnish
- Cook your rice.
- Add corn starch to 2 tablespoons water and mix well. Set aside.
- Add soy sauce, ¼ cup water, sugar, rice vinegar, and garlic in a small sauce pan. Heat on medium until the sauce simmers.
- Pour the corn starch slurry into the soy sauce mixture and stir until the teriyaki sauce thickens, about 30 seconds. Turn off the heat and set aside.
Turkey Stir Fry
- Steam broccoli florets for about 2 to 3 minutes and set aside.
- Heat a large pan or wok on medium high. Add some oil. When the pan is hot, add add garlic and ginger. Saute until aromatic, about 15 seconds.
- Add ground turkey into the pan and saute until almost cooked, about 5 minutes. Pour in the teriyaki sauce, and combine well. Cook for another 2 to 3 minutes, until the turkey is done.
- Add the carrots, combine well and cook for about 1 minute.
- Add steamed broccoli and mix well into stir fry, about 30 seconds. Turn off heat.
- Garnish with green onions and optional sesame seed. Serve over rice.
- If you like your stir fry veggies crunchy and fresh, make sure to not overcook them. Add the carrots and broccoli at the end and give them a quick saute.
- If preferred, reserve 2 tablespoons of sauce to drizzle over rice bowls.