Learn how to cook “fried rice” in your rice cooker with all your favorite ingredients like eggs, Chinese sausage and veggies! This one-pot cooking method doesn’t include any stir-frying, yet the rice cooker still infuses the rice with wonderful salty and umami flavors. You’ll love this easy rice cooker method, with the press of a button, you’ll have delicious and a healthier take on fried rice!
The rice cooker is such a mighty little appliance. You can make so many variations of rice like turmeric yellow rice, rice pilaf and Spanish rice! My rice cooker fried rice recipe is a great option when you feel like fried rice, but don’t have any leftover rice handy to quickly whip up a meal. This is a one pot meal that’ll save you time and requires very minimal cleanup. No more takeout, this will be your new favorite way to make fried rice – especially on busy weeknights!
Ingredients & notes
Rice – I am using Jasmine rice for a nice and fluffy texture.
Chinese sausage – This Kam Yen Jan brand is one of the best sausages around, in my opinion. It cooks easily and has the most delicious salty flavor to add to the rice. You can get them at most Asian stores. If you’re not able to get these, feel free to use ham or your meat of choice. Leftover rotisserie chicken would be great as well.
Eggs – Eggs are an essential ingredient to fried rice and yes, it will cook well in the rice cooker!
Vegetables – Frozen vegetables are my go-to for convenience. If you want to use fresh veggies, all you have to do is dice them into smaller pieces.
Soy sauce – Use regular soy sauce, or low sodium works well too.
Fish sauce – My secret sauce for the flavoring, get a bottle of fish sauce at your local Asian market.
Chicken broth – adds additional great flavor to the rice.
I am using a Tiger JBV- S series. The cooker is also small enough that it doesn’t take up a lot of counter space, but has the capacity to cook up to 5 cups of dry rice for larger parties.
1). Prep the ingredients, wash and drain the rice, mince the garlic, chop up the onion and cut the sausage into smaller pieces.
2). Add the rice, broth, garlic, onion, fish sauce, soy sauce, sugar and butter. Then give it a swirl to mix together.
3). Add veggies, sausage, and a beaten egg on top of the water.
4). Set the rice cooker to cook. When done, fluff the rice and mix the ingredients together.
Garnish with green onions, serve with a side of sliced cucumbers.
- After washing the rice, make sure to drain it well, otherwise the rice will become mushy with the excess water.
- Some sides that go great with ice cooker fried rice are: seaweed, avocados, cucumbers and carrot sticks.
- Serve with Sriracha for some spice.
Frequently asked questions
Yes, the eggs will be steamed and cooked.
The rice cooker’s function is mostly heating the water and steaming the ingredients inside the pot. You cannot fry with the rice cooker.
Yes, if it is raw meat, make sure to cut it into smaller portions and add to the rice, it will cook through.
More rice cooker recipes you’ll love
Love a recipe you’ve tried? Please leave a 5-star 🌟rating in the recipe card and a comment below! That’ll make my day!
Let’s be friends! Follow me on social media @ Instagram, Pinterest. Give me a tag @apeachyplate when you try out a recipe!
Easy Rice Cooker Fried Rice with Egg
- 1 cup Jasmine rice use US measuring (dry) cup
- 1 ¼ cup chicken broth
- ¾ cup frozen vegetables
- ¾ cups Chinese sausage, cut into ½" thick rounds, then halved 2 links
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ cup onion, chopped
- 1 egg, lightly whisked
- ½ tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon fish sauce
- ¼ teaspoon sugar
- green onions garnish
- Rinse rice in a mesh strainer. Make sure to shake out excess water well.
- Add the rice, broth, garlic, onion, fish sauce, soy sauce, sugar and butter. Then give it a swirl to mix together.
- Add the vegetables, sausage, and a beaten egg on top of the water.
- Set rice cooker to cook or start (depending on the cooker functions).
- When done, fluff with a fork and top with green onion and serve.
- Make sure to drain the water well, give it a few hard shakes in the strainer to take out as much water as possible. Too much residual water may make the dish mushy.
- Feel free to use ham or your meat of choice. Leftover rotisserie chicken would be great as well.
- Some sides that go great with rice cooker fried rice are: seaweed, avocados, cucumbers and carrot sticks.
- Serve with Sriracha for some spice.
- Store leftover in an airtight container for up to 3 days in the refrigerator.
- Freeze in the freezer in an airtight container for up to a month.