Crispy, healthy and easy panko breaded chicken wings in the air fryer! Give in to your fried chicken cravings with these guilt-free wings. They’re a hit with my family and will be with yours too!
Making crispy foods in the air fryer is my new hobby, and it gets pretty addicting! Ever since we got a Philips Air Fryer, we don’t deep fry anything at home anymore.
Using my air fryer to ‘fry” is a healthier option and panko is definitely my favorite breading. It’s light and delivers a satisfying crunch. I kept the seasoning simple, with common spices found in most pantries: salt, pepper, garlic powder, and paprika. It takes less than 20 minutes to air fry and voila – wings are ready, perfectly crispy and amazingly tender.
These get snatched up pretty quickly by my toddler and hubs. Try them out and you’ll see why!
How to make air fryer chicken wings:
1. Seasoning – I season the chicken first because it coats more evenly as opposed to mixing it in the flour. Season both sides before dredging it into the flour. This will give the wings maximum flavor!
2. Flour – After seasoning, dredge the chicken wings in flour. You can even use gluten free flour like rice or potato flour. This step helps to seal in moisture, adds an extra layer of crunch and allows the next step of dredging it in eggs coat on better. I use a silicone tipped tong to dredge. You can also wear gloves and dredge by hand or add flour to a ziploc bag, then put the chicken in and shake it up really well.
3. Egg – Make sure to shake off any excess flour, then dredge it into the lightly beaten egg. The egg will create a wet coating to help the panko stick on better. Shake off any excess egg.
4. Breading – Press the chicken into the panko crumbs evenly on both sides and you’re done! Now preheat the air fryer.
6. Air Frying – Place wings in a single layer in the air fryer basket. Air fry for 13 minutes at 350 degrees Fahrenheit, then increase to 400 degrees Fahrenheit for a couple more minutes to get golden crispy wings.
Tips for crispy air fryer chicken wings:
– Pre-heat your Air fryer so it doesn’t take additional time to heat up when the chicken is in the basket.
– Add wings in a single layer, do not stack or overcrowd them. Putting them in a single layer will ensure nice crispy wings!
– Use more pepper to taste.
– I have a Philips Advance XXL analog air fryer. Different air fryers may have varying temperature and cooking time.
– I recommend checking your food at around 14-15 minutes to make sure it’s not overcooking. The more you use your air fryer, the better you’ll be acquainted with adjusting the temp and time for different foods.
– My Philips Advance XXL airfryer can fit a little over 1 lb of wings in the basket. With smaller air fryers, you will need to cook them in separate batches.
– After the wings are done, take them immediately out of the air fryer basket. Leaving them in there will result in steaming them which will give you a soggy crust!
Yummmm … see how deliciously crispy they are??? Serve immediately with your choice of dipping sauce – ketchup, bbq, hot sauce or naked! Whatever floats your boat.
I hope you guys enjoy my air fryer panko breaded chicken wings! If you make this recipe, tag me on Instagram @apeachyplate!
Air Fryer Panko Chicken Wings
- 1 lb chicken wings
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp paprika
- ½ tsp pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- ¼ cup flour
- ¾ cup panko crumbs
- 1 egg, lightly whisked
- Preheat air fryer at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 5 minutes
- Pat chicken wings dry. Season wings evenly with salt, pepper, paprika and garlic powder.
- Dredge wings in the flour. Shake off excess flour.
- Dredge wings in a bowl with whisked egg. Shake off excess egg.
- Press the chicken wings into the panko breading. Coat evenly on both side.
- Place wings in the air fryer basket in a single layer.
- Air Fry for 13 minutes at 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Increase heat to 400 degrees Fahrenheit and air fry for additional 2-3 minutes to get a golden crust.
- When done cooking, take wings immediately out of the air fryer basket. Serve with dipping sauce of choice.