Quick and easy roasted chickpeas (garbanzo beans) in the air fryer that's a healthy, protein packed snack. Light and crispy and full of flavor in just 20 minutes! Great for a grab-and-go snack, or add them to a salad for a satisfying crunch. Vegan and plant-based approved.
This snack couldn’t be easier to make. You can use this recipe, made with simple pantry staple spices as a base. Then get creative and try out your favorite seasonings!
Can of chickpeas - I buy the no sodium option, and add salt after air frying. Garbanzo beans are the same as chickpeas.
Seasonings - I use salt, paprika, garlic powder and cumin. See tips below for other seasoning options.
Avocado oil - Regular olive oil and canola oil can be used as well.
Rinse chickpeas well in cold water and drain.
Preheat your air fryer for 5 minutes at 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Roast the chickpeas for 15 minutes, shaking halfway through. Cooking time may vary if you have a smaller air fryer. I have a Phillips XXL analog air fryer which has a 6 portion food capacity.
After 15 minutes, or when cooked to desired crispiness, add avocado oil and toss evenly, then add the seasoning and mix well.
Various air fryer models may require more or less cooking time.
Cook in small batches, this allows more space between the beans, helping them cook quicker.
Try out different seasoning packets you can get at the store for a flavor punch. Some good ones are ranch, bbq and taco flavor. Or you can get creative and use what you cook with, like curry powder, chilli powder or lemon pepper - whatever you crave!
If the chickpeas are still soft on the inside, continue to air fry until they reach the desired crunchiness. I recommend air frying in 1 minute increments until you hit the sweet spot.
Enjoy right away!
Keep them in an open container, away from any moisture.
Once air fried, they will continue to stay crispy for up to 3 days. However, they are best eaten immediately and may taste a bit stale after a day and a half.
Yes, they will crisp up without oil. But keep in mind, without oil, it will be difficult for the seasoning to stick to the chickpeas.
More Air Fryer Recipes
Air Fryer Chickpeas (Garbanzo Beans)
- 15 ounces can no sodium chickpeas 1 can
- 1 teaspoon avocado oil
- ½ teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- Preheat air fryer at 375 degrees Fahrenheit for 5 minutes.
- Dump the chickpeas in a strainer. Rinse well with water and drain.
- Add chickpeas to the air fryer basket and spread evenly in a single layer.
- Air fry for 15 minutes at 375 degrees Fahrenheit, shaking the basket halfway through.
- Add cooked chickpeas to a bowl and drizzle oil in, distribute evenly. Add seasoning and mix well.
- Various air fryer models may require less or more cooking time.
- Try out different seasoning packets you can get at the store. Some good ones are ranch, bbq and taco flavor. Or you can get creative and use what you cook with, like curry powder, chilli powder or lemon pepper. Just add 1 tablespoon of seasoning at the end.
- If the chickpeas are still soft on the inside, continue to air fry until they reach the desired crunchiness. I recommend air frying in 1 minute increments until you hit the sweet spot.
- Store in an open container up to 3 days. I recommend eating right away, they will stay crispy, but may taste stale the longer it's left out.